Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are essential to stay true to our culture. They are key components for a sustainable business and success factors to develop new business opportunities.
METRO values the individuality that comes from different backgrounds, perspectives and cultures. In order to fully utilise talents and potentials, METRO fosters a diverse and inclusive environment in which employees feel comfortable and free to develop. A diverse workforce has the best answers to the diverse needs of our customers and business partners.
Through our global approach for "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion", we contribute to reducing all forms of inequality.
The Global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) approach is the basis for the implementation of the goals within the METRO Environmental Social Governance (ESG) Strategy. It enables all METRO companies to develop their individual, local strategies on diversity, equity and inclusion and to implement them through appropriate measures within a given framework.
- Promote diversity and inclusion in all aspects of employment and workplace culture.
- Foster a work environment that allows mutual understanding of different roles and life experiences and respectively free from discrimination, harassment, and bias.
- Develop leaders who are able to create inclusive work environments, that seek for inclusion and valued active participation.
- Provide training and education to all employees on diversity and inclusion topics.
- Regularly assess and evaluate the effectiveness and deployment of our diversity policy.
In the competition for the best specialists and managers, METRO wants to position itself as an attractive employer and attract qualified talents to our company and promote career equality.
One of METRO's goals is to further increase the share of women in management positions. By September 2025, METRO AG aims to employ 25% women in the 1st management level below the Management Board and 40% in the 2nd management level below the Management Board.
In addition, METRO has voluntarily set a target for the share of women in management positions in our wholesale business. According to this target, the share of women in management positions at levels 1 to 3 (incl. store management) is to reach 30% globally by September 2025.
More information: Employee interests - METRO Annual Report 2021/22